Beautiful Old World exquisitely proportioned details mix with modern conveniences in the ivy-covered Marion Syms Wyeth 1926 grand Italian Palladian-style historic villa on about 2.79 acres in Palm Beach with 268’  of oceanfront and a private tunnel from the house to the beach.  Details included are cornices, moldings arches, pecky cypress and 12’ ceilings.  Interior spaces are well proportioned.

Landmarked in 1959, the Landmarks Preservation commission noted that the simple, balanced design helped mark the beginning of the toning down the architectural excesses seen on much of the Island in the 1920’s. The hipped-roof structure, as the report described it, is symmetrical, has projecting facades with pediments and cast-stone decorative details.  There is an interior courtyard.

 There are 7 bedrooms, six bathrooms, three powder rooms.  Some bedrooms open onto sleeping porches. 

The dramatic entry foyer is covered in imported marble.

 The palatial living room has a hand-painted coffered ceiling and marble columns.

 The deep-red library boasts gold-applied molding details.

The formal dining room has a tray ceiling, a trumeau over the mantle and the fireplace is connected to the molding.  The walls are finished in Venetian plaster that has “mellowed with age.”  Throughout the house are many wood-burning fireplaces.

Originally a family room combined with original garage is now a combination media and family room that opens to the inner courtyard, beautifully landscaped and a perfect party setting.  

 A covered lanai connects the main house to a 2-story “tennis house” with a 2nd floor loft-like bedroom overlooking the courts.

The pool is 60’ long next to an expansive lawn with views of the pretty back exterior of the Villa.  There is an oceanfront cabana, five car garage and full house generator.  The foyer floor is Cuban marble and there are original restored floors.  The house has a grand staircase and jewel-like library.  Ceilings are interesting, some coffered, some painted.  
There are two cabanas on the ocean, one Italiate, the other Moroccan. 

The house is located on a prominent corner where South County Road meets South Ocean Boulevard.  The house was originally built for a New York City banker.  Another former owner was Jean Flagler Matthews, who founded the Henry M. Flagler Museum in 1959 as a tribute to her grandfather, thereby preserving the lavish 1902 Museum for future generations.

Current owners renovated the house and made additions and improvements – now with 270’ of oceanfront and 17,000+ square feet inside and out.  It now measures about 3 acres and includes a second smaller guest house with 6131 sq ft inside and out, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and powder room, pool and staff quarters.

List price is $34,000,000.

Call Marilyn at 561-302-3388 for more details.

No comments: