We, too, congratulate the winners of the annual Schuler Award from the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach that recognizes new architecture which builds upon the historical character of Palm Beach.
A Foundation trustee, James Berwind, had fond memories of Bermuda vacations and worked with his good friend Architect Tom Kirchoff, a Foundation member to design this home with a look as if it has been in this spot forever and is true to Bermudian-style.
Details of the architecture include scalloped roof gables, tall chimneys with decorative caps, cut stone roofs, stepped ziggurats, dormer windows, coral keystone steps, wall niches, built-in bookcases and a gondola-style dock. Gardens are terraced, and a front pavilion offers a welcoming glow. Exterior is white.
Berwind says he liked the fact that the Bermuda-style houses didn’t look intimidating. They weren’t trying to impress anyone. He said that they always looked like a kid drew them and the design stays true to that nature, as elegant as it is.
Amanda Skier, executive director of the Preservation Foundation, notes that “the rambling nature of the property … achieves the same feeling of organic development that (noted society architect) Addison Mizner strove for in each of his designs.” They also built a detached 4-bedroom guest house that is separate from the main house.
The dramatic lakefront site has beautiful gardens too. There are 9200 living sq ft and the covered loggia adds another 1600 living sq ft.
Dedicated to animal-rights and pet-adoption causes, fundraisers can be held at the house for as many as 200 guests. It is truly a house to love, feel comfortable in, and enjoy.
· 4 STORIES, 20’WIDE, 3680 LIVING SQ FT; 60’ BACK FROM STREET
· GROUND FLOOR: DINING ROOM WITH FIREPLACE AND BAY WINDOW, POWDERROOM, KITCHEN AND CIRCULAR STAIRCASE GOES TO PARLOR FLOOR
· LIVING ROOM FACES FRONT OF HOUSE, HIGH CEILINGS, THREE LARGE WINDOWS, FIREPLACE
· WOOD-PANELED LIBRARY FACES BACK OF HOUSE, HAS BAY WINDOW, FIREPLACE, COFFERED CELINGS
· TWO BEDROOMS WITH ATTACHED BATHROOMS ON SECOND FLOOR
· THIRD FLOOR HAS TWO MORE BEDROOMS CONNECTED BY AN OFFICE WITH FIREPLACE
· LOCATION: 50 East 38th Street in Murray Hill