98-YEAR OLD HISTORIC HOUSE SAVED
Just hours before being slated for demolition, a 98-year old Ft Lauderdale house began its move to an empty lot in Hammershee Village.
The Shippey house, occupied by Broward’s second judge Fred Shippey in 1913, will become office space at its new location on Southwest Third Avenue near the New River Inn and Fort Lauderdale Historical Society.
The exterior of the home will be restored to its 1913 state and serve as a historic site.
The Friends of Shippey House Inc. saved the building from destruction after it went into foreclosure and a New York state-based company bought the property.