On February 27, 2011 from 1 to 4 pm,  participants will tour homes in the area, including historic homes and mansions.  The tour begins at the historic Hollywood Women’s Club clubhouse at 501 N. 14th Avenue.
 One of the historic homes to see was built in 1925 in the North Lake section, the oldest home on the tour.   See the original fireplace, pickled cypress beams, hardwood floors, ceramic tiles and hand carved front door along with photos of the house from previous owners.   
 A modern expansive $2MM 4000 sq ft waterfront estate is included in the 6-home tour.  
 A Key West style home, an artist’s retreat with French art deco furniture and peaceful Moroccan-influenced accessories and a backyard lush with native plants, a pond and organic garden.  Antique  cars will also be on display.
 Tea and cookies will be served by members of the historical society in a 1927 Classic Revivial building.  Members will be dressed in 1920’s high tea attire.  Established in 1922, the founding members created the club before they had homes, while they were living in tents on the beach.  Husbands were busy building the community and the wives raised money to establish the city’s first telephone lines and ensure that all children received healthcare.  They also established the city’s first library.
Air-conditioned transportation is available but one can also walk through the 8 block tour and refreshments will be available at several homes.  Admission is $20.  Parking is free at the Women’s Club.  All proceeds go to the Hollywood Historical Society, a 501(c) 3 non-profit cultural organization.  For more information call 954-920-1748.

No comments: