Undergoing renovations for the past three years, the building houses the Richard and Pat Johnson Palm Beach County History museum and is filled with exhibits (some interactive) relating to the history of Palm Beach County. The restoration project, begun in January 2004, reused original materials including limestone, granite, exterior windows, marble wainscot, mosaic floor tiles, wood flooring, doors, trim and hardware. 67% of the original exterior bricks were used. 76 original windows were used and 37 impact windows were custom designed to match. All original columns & capitals were used; column weight including plinth block is 30,600 lbs and support the portico roof above them. Base is granite. 95% of mosaic floor tiling is original and 215 sq ft of matching mosaic tiles were salvaged and used. 28 sets of original doorknob hardware were salvaged and installed on original and new doors of courtroom and main restored corridors. 1000+ sq ft of original maple wood flooring was found In the courtroom, removed and reinstalled in the east end of the courtroom and refinished. Matching maple wood flooring was installed to complete restoration of the courtroom floor. Designated as a Palm Beach County historic site on September 27, 2005, the building is located at 300 North Dixie in West Palm Beach. In 1916, one year after Palm Beach County was formed from Dade County, its population was 5,577 and Broward County did not yet exist. A land sale boom period was in effect and real estate was sold at roadside offices and tents from Boca Raton to Ft. Pierce. Property values back then doubled and then tripled. Railroads and ships could not keep pace with the demand for building materials. Hotels began going up on the west side of the intracoastal waterway and the Palm Beach County market opened to middle income families who could not afford to stay in hotels on the island. The Grand Opening for the Restored Courthouse was held on March 15, 2008.

No comments: